The Pantheon

The Pantheon

Last image of the Pantheon, a panorama stitched from 29 images and then tone-mapped.

The Pantheon (from Greek: Πάνθεον, meaning "Every god") was first commissioned by Marcus Agrippa as a temple and then rebuilt by Hadrian in about 126 CE. In the 7th century, the Pantheon was converted to a Roman Catholic church.

It was the world's largest dome for some 1700 years, and it still holds the record for the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome.

The oculus admits the only light, and serves as a cooling and ventilation method. When it rains, it rains inside, but a drainage system below the floor handles the runoff.

Metadata

© 2007-2017 Wojciech Jarosz • Admin Login